Remove swatches not used

Leogirl

Remove swatches not used

Post by Leogirl »

I can identify the colors in the pdf , however I would like to remove all the swatches not used in artwork. Is there a way to do this with an action list?
Thank you
Angela Smith
loicaigon
Advanced member

Re: Remove swatches not used

Post by loicaigon »

Hi,
I am a bit intrigued by your request. Can you share a sample file and a specific explanation on what you expect as a result regarding this specific file?
Loic
Leogirl

Post by Leogirl »

loicaigon wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:39 pm Hi,
I am a bit intrigued by your request. Can you share a sample file and a specific explanation on what you expect as a result regarding this specific file?
Loic
There are swatches listed in swatch panel not in art file I am wanting to remove. I could only attached images
Attachments
Unused swatches removed from swatch panel removed
Unused swatches removed from swatch panel removed
2023-02-22 12_45_37-art test swatch.pdf_ @ 33.33 % (CMYK_CPU Preview).png (26.88 KiB) Viewed 7083 times
Swatches not in art file
Swatches not in art file
2023-02-22 12_45_26-art test swatch.pdf @ 33.33 % (CMYK_CPU Preview).png (28.92 KiB) Viewed 7083 times
Angela Smith
loicaigon
Advanced member

Post by loicaigon »

Ok, but those are swatches inside Illustrator and unused swatches can be removed just as you did. There could be zillions of reasons why those extra colors get there in the first place but if those colors aren't used in the layout, there shouldn't be found in the PDF, so no need for an action list.

Can you explain your production workflow? Are you the one creating the artwork? Do you receive those AI files? At which point do they become an issue?

Loic
Leogirl

Post by Leogirl »

loicaigon wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:26 pm Ok, but those are swatches inside Illustrator and unused swatches can be removed just as you did. There could be zillions of reasons why those extra colors get there in the first place but if those colors aren't used in the layout, there shouldn't be found in the PDF, so no need for an action list.

Can you explain your production workflow? Are you the one creating the artwork? Do you receive those AI files? At which point do they become an issue?

Loic
The artwork will have the fonts converted, resolution checked and checked for missing links before the artist has access to file. We would like during the preflight process remove all unused swatches.
Angela Smith
loicaigon
Advanced member

Post by loicaigon »

Ok, I think I got you now. You are probably working with Illustrator Files saved as Compatible PDFs. So basically, you can see those extra colors when opened with Illustrator but there are not visible in the PDF when inspected in Acrobat. That's because Compatible PDFs embark both PDF data and Illustrator Binary Data. PDF Data is what is displayed with Acrobat or what you can see when importing the PDF inside InDesign for example. The Binary data is the actual Illustrator file saved inside the PDF.

If you really want to remove those unused colors, you will only be able to proceed inside Illustrator either manually or with a script.
See here for an example: https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustra ... 99#M189711
This could be used in a Switch Flow if you want to automate and scale this process.

If you are using a tool that process your PDF file and see those unused colors (outside of Illustrator), please precise which one. Otherwise, the PDF data (not the Illustrator Binary data) should only contain colors that are actually used inside the layout.