Smooth Shade Axial

prepressscott

Smooth Shade Axial

Post by prepressscott »

I have a pdf that I've converted to CMYK using pitstop. When I preflight it using Acrobats own preflight tool it tells me that some pages contain Smooth Shade, either Axial, Radial or Tensor-Product Patch Meshes that are ICC based RGB. Press the show button to find them, then select using Pitstop and it says they are CMYK. I've been through deleting layer after layer to find them but no luck. How can I get Pitstop to find and convert them to CMYK?
freddyp
Advanced member

Re: Smooth Shade Axial

Post by freddyp »

In an Action List you can simply select ICC based RGB objects and convert them to CMYK. I am interested in seeing the file though.
vghilardi

Post by vghilardi »

Hello
Maybe with the PDF file, it will be easier to answer you.
Thanks
prepressscott

Post by prepressscott »

Link to file

https://we.tl/t-6dfVEqvRv0

Freddy, I used that action but it doesn't work. I've got a feeling they are in a form which I believe are not editable.

UPDATE**

I've removed the ICC tags and now my Acrobat preflight no longer flags up the RGB! Strange, but problem solved.
bens
Advanced member

Post by bens »

There are indeed some ICCBased RGB shadings in that file, but they're well hidden. They're used inside Luminosity softmasks, which means the RGB values are first converted to grey, and then to a transparency value to be applied to other objects. In other words: the fact that they're RGB has no effect at all on the printed page. Also, they're tiny - they're all used on the edges of the mobile phone beside "Instagram".

With PitStop you indeed cannot see inside softmasks, but you can see the effect of the softmasks by using the Inspector - Transparency - Masking. Toggling the mask viewing modes will show you where the masks are used (note that you have to select the objects).