How to change Spot color Values?

renae

How to change Spot color Values?

Post by renae »

Is there an easy/quick way to change the values of a SPOT color (Lab)?
The name won't change, just the values.

(Reason: because it needs to preview with adjusted values, and if the rip doesn't pick up the name, then at least the values will be correct).

Thanks!
freddyp
Advanced member

Re: How to change Spot color Values?

Post by freddyp »

If all the spot colors are PANTONE, the easiest solution because you do it for all colors in one go is to change the PANTONE library. See also viewtopic.php?p=14934#p14934.

If the spot colors are different you can create your own version of the spot color in the PitStop color database:
Create spot color with Lab alternate color values
Create spot color with Lab alternate color values
Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 10.57.21.png (41.68 KiB) Viewed 5816 times
and use an Action to change the color of the objects using this newly created color.
renae

Post by renae »

Thanks for the reply... these are custom spot colors.

I'm probably doing it wrong, but if I create a color with the same name/different values, it still sees the first color when I try to swap them (understandable).
I was able to replace with a temporary color. Save, close, re-open and then replace the temporary color with the 'same name/different vales' color, but at that point it's easier just to open the pdf in illustrator and edit it there (not always an option though).

I guess what I was hoping for was that Color Editor view from your screen cap, but for an existing/in use color where I could just plug in new values and save. Maybe in a future release! ;)

Thanks, again!
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

You can make it work! Create the spot color in the Color Library. Note that there can be multiple spot colors in the Color Library with the same name and different alternate color values. Use the Action "Remap spot color". In "Spot color to remap" you specify the name of the spot color you want to remap. And you remap to "User swatch". Click on "Load" and from the Color Library choose the correct spot color. Run.
renae

Post by renae »

Hmm, could have sworn that's what I did, but I guess not lol! Just tried again and it worked. THANK YOU!!
huck

Post by huck »

You can remap spot color to New spot color with the same name and another CMYK values. It works but changes appear only after saving and reopening the document.
Upd: Sorry missed that you wanted LAB values.