Mirror bleed issue

Volrad

Mirror bleed issue

Post by Volrad »

Hi

If there is an image that extends for example 1mm into the bleed and I use the add bleed by mirroring it mirrors it from the trimbox, not from where the image ends.
See examples below.

Is there some way to get around that issue?
Before mirroring.png
Before mirroring.png (16.24 KiB) Viewed 16890 times
After mirroring.png
After mirroring.png (15.81 KiB) Viewed 16890 times
loicaigon
Advanced member

Re: Mirror bleed issue

Post by loicaigon »

Hi,

I see what you are trying to achieve. This result can be obtained by using "add bleed around contour" and using trim as the "contour". In this case, we consider existing content in the bleed and we can extend pixels from the last position of content in the bleed.

But if you want "mirror" specifically, then unfortunately it's not taking this content into content in the bleed…well it could to some extent, if you set negative values in the "distance from trim box", but it wouldn't make sense most of the cases.

But if you can use the pixels extending option, then add bleed around contour will probably work better for you.

Loic
magnussandstrom
Advanced member

Post by magnussandstrom »

..until we get generative AI bleed in Pitstop.
DomH

Post by DomH »

If Im not mistaken it will always mirror art from the Trim Box, so essentially what you need to do is resize the Trim Box to the Bleed Box and then add bleed.

To begin with, it's best (and probably essential) to manually set the Trim Box and Bleed Box yourself for the most control, then run the Action.

The steps I have are as below:

- Change Art Box to the Trim Box (I just do this so I have something to reset the Trim Box back to later)
- Change the Media Box to the Trim Box (this zeros the media box to I can cleanly set bleed below)
- Change the Media Box by the amount of bleed I want in total (e.g. 5mm bleed)
- Change the Trim Box to the Bleed Box (this changes the Trim Box to include existing bleed)
- Select objects close to page edge (1mm)
- Add bleed
- Select objects close to page edge (2mm)
- Add bleed
- Change Trim box to Art Box (this will just change the Trim Box back to the correct document size you set at the start)

Hopefully that works for you.