Remap (User Swatch) Fills & Strokes with ICC Profiles in PitStop Server

InsertsEast

Remap (User Swatch) Fills & Strokes with ICC Profiles in PitStop Server

Post by InsertsEast »

I added to the 'Clean Up Black' action list in PitStop Pro 2021 to remap various known 4C Blacks our clients use. These colors all have ICC SWOP v2 profiles on them. The action lists work in PitStop Pro 2021, but when importing those actions to PitStop Server 2021 and test, PitStop Server ignores the whole action lists where I have the 'ICC CMYK' remap colors programmed.
I was able to update the action list where I; 'Select All', 'Remove ICC tag'. Then instead of the 'ICC CMYK' User Swatch, I can define a 'Device CMYK' Swatch with the same numbers to convert to Device CMYK Black.
I guess my questions are,
Does PitStop Server not have the same access as PitStop Pro to the actions?
Does me removing profiles to get the remap to work ruin the PDF to send to press... (Am I doing it wrong?)

FYI... These colors are being remapped so we can select all black only fills or strokes, and set/force overprint. Same issue with that actions list as well, PitStop Server 2021 will select Device Black and set overprint, but not 'ICC CYMK' and set overprint.
Attachments
PitStop Server Device Swatch.png
PitStop Server Device Swatch.png (52.02 KiB) Viewed 1022 times
PitStopPro User Swatch.png
PitStopPro User Swatch.png (53.03 KiB) Viewed 1022 times
PitStopPro AL.png
PitStopPro AL.png (110.29 KiB) Viewed 1022 times
bens
Advanced member

Re: Remap (User Swatch) Fills & Strokes with ICC Profiles in PitStop Server

Post by bens »

InsertsEast wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:50 pm Does PitStop Server not have the same access as PitStop Pro to the actions?
It should. I can't really think of a reason why it wouldn't work in PitStop Server - however, my first thought is always: is your colour management the same in Pro and Server?
And are you testing it on the same file(s)? There can be small differences in the values, or even in the ICC profiles, which can be very hard to detect just by checking the files. For example, two ICC profiles can have the exact same name and yet be completely different.
InsertsEast wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:50 pm Does me removing profiles to get the remap to work ruin the PDF to send to press... (Am I doing it wrong?)
If you're doing it on "Select all", then yes I think you're doing it wrong. Simply removing all ICC profiles can definitely give visual colour differences. You could try to restrict it to only rich black. But I think it would be better to figure out why it is needed in the first place.
InsertsEast

Post by InsertsEast »

Thank you bens for the response.
I went ahead and checked 'Color Management' in PitStop Pro and switched it to ' US Prepress Default' preset. I did not have Color Management set in the Hot Folder Editor, so I went ahead and matched it to PitStop Pro. Override - Checked, Enable color management - Checked. Match all settings down to CMM engine, and Use black point compensation.
I created a simple script to Select All, Remap the (1) color ICC SWOP v2 100% Black, to just Device CMYK 100% Magenta, and Log Selection. Again it works in PitStop Pro, but not in PitStop Server. Server only selects all and ignores the remap action. I tried updating the action to select only text segments with an ICC profile. Still Server only selects and ignores the remap action.
We have been using PiStop Pro to fix 4 Color Black and set overprints where necessary. Was looking to utilize PitStop Servers Hot Folders Action Lists to automate remapping the know 4 Color Blacks our clients always use and can't seem to fix in their design files.
Attachments
Action.png
Action.png (206.23 KiB) Viewed 874 times
PitStopServer.png
PitStopServer.png (126.97 KiB) Viewed 874 times
PitStopPro.png
PitStopPro.png (139.38 KiB) Viewed 874 times
bens
Advanced member

Post by bens »

Very odd. I think this should work, but I must be missing something. Apparently the "Remap color" action thinks the colour in the PDF doesn't match the one in the Action List. This could be a rounding in the colour values, or a difference in the ICC profile. Rounding is less likely, so I'd guess a difference in the ICC profile. There are a lot of subtleties that are impossible to see without checking the profiles in detail. But if PitStop Pro thinks the ICC profile is the same, then PitStop Server should too.

Could you try with a newer PitStop version? If that also doesn't work, I suggest you contact Enfocus support.