How to Get Switch to Sort Through Potentially Messy Client Files

jochwat

Post by jochwat »

Hello there,

Like most printers, we receive files of all kinds, in all conditions, and usually can't predict how these files are going to be organized… one of the main reasons we invested in Switch. So my question is (based on many hours of experimenting), how "clean" does Switch expect a client's files to be?

In a nutshell, I'm trying to design a flow that grabs whatever file / folder / archive a customer sends us, get it converted to a PDF, and then preflight that PDF with Pitstop, resulting in a proof-condition PDF and its accompanying pass/fail Pitstop report. However, I'm using one flow to get the file submission, sort the supplied filetypes to their correct paths or Configurators, and create the PDF for preflighting… and since every submitted file can be organized completely differently from the next (print-ready PDFs existing in same levels as InDesign packages, standalone Illustrator files, etc., all in one .ZIP file), is there a good Switch solution that will figure out which files are part of what kind of job, and then create my final PDFs? I've used tools like Ungroup / Job Dismantler / Split Multijob / Assemble / etc., with varying success, and just can't seem to get it to do what I need in this regard. I've gotten it working fine with "safe" file submissions (nice neat InDesign packages, standalone PDFs or image files in the root folder, etc.), but big messy archives just seem to send the files every which way.

Thanks for any help!

-Joe
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

It is difficult to say based on your input if your problem could not be solved without resorting to a script, but I have the impression that a script here or there can help in sorting out the mess.

In a script it is not that hard to detect that a folder is an Indesign package, but that it also contains PDF files and these PDF files may or may not have the same name as the Indesign file which may also be a reason for making a difference in the treatment of those folders. Etc.

Freddy