Thumbnail in the seem of the banner

Robbie

Thumbnail in the seem of the banner

Post by Robbie »

Scherm­afbeelding 2024-02-09 om 08.18.05.png
Scherm­afbeelding 2024-02-09 om 08.18.05.png (99.75 KiB) Viewed 856 times
We are making banners for a customer. we print the banner with extra seem for the gromits en ta tekst file with the discription of the banner there (see picture). Now the customer wants to have a little thumbnail picture next to the text line. Is this possible to make in pistop?
freddyp
Advanced member

Re: Thumbnail in the seem of the banner

Post by freddyp »

Select all
Copy objects to clipboard
Select all
Paste objects from clipboard
Select last added objects
Scale selection
Rasterize selection

Placing it in the correct location can be done by pasting the selection in a certain location or by adding Select last added objects at the end followed by Change position.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Im trying to put it in my flow.. i m getting a thumbnail on a second page but im not getting it on the first pag next to the text lines in the seem.
i included my testflow
thumbnail.eal.zip
(241.6 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

I see that you paste the thumbnail at the end of the action list: Select page 1, Paste objects from clipboard. That is indeed not going to paste on page 1 in a multipage document.

It is important to realize that PitStop by default runs through the document from the beginning to the end without going back. Therefore

Code: Select all

Select last page
Copy something
Select first page
Paste it
does not work. However, there is an action that allows to start all over again: "Split Action List". So:

Code: Select all

Select last page
Copy something
Split Action List
Select first page
Paste it
will work.

It is a long action list so I have not studied it in detail, but the conclusion is: if the page from which you make the thumbnail is also page 1, move the paste higher up in the action list; if the thumbnail page comes after page 1, Split Action List.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Got it working with some ajustments. But i have a question.. im scaling down the image in de flow to 0.7%. But it would be niece if i can scale it down to max 3 cm hight and the with would automatichly be downsized accordingly..
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

Look at the action list I posted: "Scale selection", not "Scale page content" + "Scale page boxes". In the "Scale selection" action you can do the fixed size scaling you want.

Doing it this way will further simplify your action list. Now you add a page where you paste the objects that you copied previously so you can scale everything with "Scale page content" + "Scale page boxes". If you work with "Scale selection" there is no need to go to another page, you just work with the selection you have on the same page ("Select last added objects" after you pasted them). And here is a tip if you want to have the thumbnail objects available for easy selection later in the action list: "Save selection". Another approach that can be interesting, certainly if you still want to add a rectangle for clipping/masking: "Add objects to layer with name". In this way you can add a rectangle to the layer, select all the objects on the layer and do a "Make mask".
loicaigon
Advanced member

Post by loicaigon »

Hi Robbie,

Do you know why is the customer is asking this thumbnail? I am just curious.

Loic
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

My customer is a big festival here and whants to order 300 pieces off banners and likes to see a small thumbnail in the seem so he can see witch banner is witch..
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

freddyp wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:37 am Look at the action list I posted: "Scale selection", not "Scale page content" + "Scale page boxes". In the "Scale selection" action you can do the fixed size scaling you want.

Doing it this way will further simplify your action list. Now you add a page where you paste the objects that you copied previously so you can scale everything with "Scale page content" + "Scale page boxes". If you work with "Scale selection" there is no need to go to another page, you just work with the selection you have on the same page ("Select last added objects" after you pasted them). And here is a tip if you want to have the thumbnail objects available for easy selection later in the action list: "Save selection". Another approach that can be interesting, certainly if you still want to add a rectangle for clipping/masking: "Add objects to layer with name". In this way you can add a rectangle to the layer, select all the objects on the layer and do a "Make mask".
I see what you mean and fixed this. the thumsnail is perfect when its not rotated (top and bottom is ok) But if i rotate the image 90 degrees its not correct tryed to make a bitmap off the contant but then im getting an error and the image is wrong
Zomen+ringen (afstand) NEW (Thumbnail).eal.zip
(242.02 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
loicaigon
Advanced member

Post by loicaigon »

Thanks Robbie, I was suspecting something like that but wanted confirmation.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

freddyp wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:04 pm Select all
Copy objects to clipboard
Select all
Paste objects from clipboard
Select last added objects
Scale selection
Rasterize selection

Placing it in the correct location can be done by pasting the selection in a certain location or by adding Select last added objects at the end followed by Change position.
I got everything working like it should.. thanks for that. Only thing thats not correct is the rasterize selection. If i put that option in the flow the thumb is not showing (its blank). If i take it out everything works..
If i try to make a bitmap of the page i getting an error message when i run the flow.
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

"Rasterize selection" can indeed easily fail on complete pages because of overprint restrictions. For creating thumbnails that is not really an issue, so look at the settings of "Rasterize selection" and make sure to check "Force into single image". See if that helps.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

mmmm. wel thats not working. Try some different settings but the thumb image is not correct. so for now i will take that part out of the flow.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

I just have 1 other question. Is it possible to make the tekst that we are putting in the seem varible.. What i mean is de length of the tekst line so the thumb image is 1 cm next to it recarding how long the tekst line is.