Assembling jobs with one less PDF file in the original document

AndrewFriedman

Assembling jobs with one less PDF file in the original document

Post by AndrewFriedman »

Hello Everyone!

I have a question. So, I’m working on this workflow that takes these education books and separates the PDF into single-page files because I need to grab just the first page/cover. I then take the cover page and add a data metrics code to it and send the rest of the files down another path to be back together. I have conditions that allow me to move the cover page up and the rest of the files down. Right now, I’m using Arbitrary files (assemble job scheme) to re-assemble the rest of the book minus the cover. I don’t like this because it’s based on time rather than something in the file name or some other type of variable to reassemble. Is there a better way to do this so that I can dump in as many files as need be without worrying about jobs being assembled when with other jobs?

Thank you and happy Friday,
Andrew
rhd_ole

Re: Assembling jobs with one less PDF file in the original document

Post by rhd_ole »

AndrewFriedman wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:43 pm Hello Everyone!

I have a question. So, I’m working on this workflow that takes these education books and separates the PDF into single-page files because I need to grab just the first page/cover. I then take the cover page and add a data metrics code to it and send the rest of the files down another path to be back together. I have conditions that allow me to move the cover page up and the rest of the files down. Right now, I’m using Arbitrary files (assemble job scheme) to re-assemble the rest of the book minus the cover. I don’t like this because it’s based on time rather than something in the file name or some other type of variable to reassemble. Is there a better way to do this so that I can dump in as many files as need be without worrying about jobs being assembled when with other jobs?

Thank you and happy Friday,
Andrew
How are you splitting the files?

We use Split PDF pages and use the SplitPDF key to reassemble them down the road using via SplitPDF.NumFile as a switch calculation minus the convers as the 'Number of Files' and our job number as the Job Identifier, you could also use SplitPDF.JobID.

Many times there are build in PD keys that keep the number of files once split that can later be used down the road such as when you use Ungroup, there is Ungroup.NumFiles that you could do a simple switch calculation of the number minus the covers.
Color Science & Workflow Automation
AndrewFriedman

Post by AndrewFriedman »

For some reason, it won't let me upload a screenshot of my flow but I'm using spit pdf with the filename suffix being index then dismantling the job, and then splitting the files from there. Would the expression look something like this in the private data key for the ungroup job element? If I were to use the ungroup job element instead of the Job Dismantale.

Ungroup=[Switch.Calcuation:Expression='([Stat.NumberOfFiles]-1']
rhd_ole

Post by rhd_ole »

Yes, If you are using Ungroup, I would use [Switch.Calculation:Expression="[Job.PrivateData:Key="Ungroup.NumFiles"]-1"] and use Ungrouped job as your Scheme. if you are only removing 1 pages from the original group you split.
Color Science & Workflow Automation
AndrewFriedman

Post by AndrewFriedman »

I got it working! thank you for your help :)