Rush job not working

PdFUser5000

Rush job not working

Post by PdFUser5000 »

When multiple files are waiting for processing, giving one job the Rush job status does not raise it to the front of the list and still keeps processing jobs in the same queue as they were. See picture for reference. I add rush job to a job in the folder marked 1, so that it would be the first one to be moved to folder marked 2 so that it could be processed in illustrator. But it does not, it still waits in the queue for its turn, even though the other jobs have no rush job status. Is this how rush job is supposed to work, or am i doing something wrong?
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (24.72 KiB) Viewed 196 times
tdeschampsBluewest

Re: Rush job not working

Post by tdeschampsBluewest »

Hi,
If the other files are still "processing" while you hit the rush job, they still need to finish their actual step before leaving place to another one.

Rush job, just allow a max priority to a job.

Quotation from Switch documentation :
The Switch job scheduler has the following (sometimes conflicting) objectives, in order of importance:
● Maximize overall throughput, that is, process as many jobs as possible in a given amount of time.
● Allow users to specify individual job priorities: a task for a job with a higher priority should be executed first. This can be used to "rush" a particular job through a flow, or to define a high priority flow (by assigning a priority to all jobs in the flow).
● Process jobs in order of arrival, that is, jobs should arrive at the end of a flow in the order they were placed in the flow to begin with (FIFO = first-in/first-out).
These objectives are not absolute: enforcing some particular order of execution to the letter would sacrifice throughput and/or overly complicate the implementation.
In other words, As soon as a core is available, Switch starts processing a pending job:
● If multiple jobs are available, it will process the one with the highest priority.
● If multiple jobs are available with the same priority, it _should_ give priority to the jobs in "FIFO" (first in, first out) mode

Alternatively, you could use the app "Priority helper", similar to rush job functionality, but with more granularity.
https://www.enfocus.com/en/appstore/pro ... ity-helper
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

There is another aspect: the flow starts with Receive from Switch. The Send to Switch and Receive from Switch apps are still written in legacy code and therefore they cannot transfer the Rush setting. I have never tried using rush jobs with the Subflow and/or Flow Links apps, but these are written in NodeJS and with these it may work. Please try and let us know.
PdFUser5000

Post by PdFUser5000 »

freddyp wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:12 pm There is another aspect: the flow starts with Receive from Switch. The Send to Switch and Receive from Switch apps are still written in legacy code and therefore they cannot transfer the Rush setting. I have never tried using rush jobs with the Subflow and/or Flow Links apps, but these are written in NodeJS and with these it may work. Please try and let us know.
I gave the rush job status to the job after it had arrived in the other switch, so maybe this should not affect it? And rather the case is what tdeschampsBluewest described.