What about a repository for generic(ish) scripts?

jugganaut

Post by jugganaut »

I went through the classes on codeacademy to familiarize myself with Javascript and I believe it set me up well to understand *most of what is going in Switch and how to do a few simple things via a script.

However, there are a lot of things that I don't understand, but could learn by seeing and playing with full scripts. It sure would be handy for Enfocus to provide a few dozen or more scripts with descriptions and comments on what the script does and why.

Even if Enfocus is unwilling to participate, I think that this tiny "community" could benefit greatly from donating scripts to a central location so that we, the newbies, could learn from and participate more in finding solutions for bigger problems.

Thoughts? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?
gabrielp
Advanced member

Post by gabrielp »

Right there with ya man. I think that's what this section was supposed to do: http://www.crossroads-world.com/en/Home/Get%20Flows but there really aren't many explicit scripting examples.

I have a few of mine on GitHub which are public:

https://github.com/dominickp/SwitchWriteToPrivateData

https://github.com/dominickp/SwitchJMF

https://github.com/dominickp/SwitchCountRows

And I have a bunch which I keep private in my GitHub account but I would be down with sharing if people were interested in contributing any improvements they make.

I'd be down for participating in some sort of script repository but my experience is that most people in our industry seem to play their programming cards close to their chest -- which is a shame because I feel like so many of us are reinventing the wheel on a daily basis.
Free Switch scripts: open-automation @ GitHub
Free Switch apps: open-automation @ Enfocus appstore

Want to hire me? I'm looking for my next gig. Contact me on LinkedIn or via email.
jugganaut

Post by jugganaut »

It would be in Enfocus's best interest to make as much information available as possible in order to make the system less intimidating, or at least make the learning curve slightly less steep. Granted, you can do a lot with Switch right out of the box, but scripting allows so much more.

The documentation is pretty good, but it just doesn't compare to real, working examples that you can play with and see how they work.
jugganaut

Post by jugganaut »

Hey and thanks for posting those! I'll be posting some of my little scripts that might help some folks, but gotta clean them up first and generalize them a bit.

Maybe this thread can be the repository of repositories...
dkelly
TOP CONTRIBUTOR

Post by dkelly »

gabrielp wrote: my experience is that most people in our industry seem to play their programming cards close to their chest -- which is a shame because I feel like so many of us are reinventing the wheel on a daily basis.

Also remember that it's how some folks earn their living (or at least part of it)
gabrielp
Advanced member

Post by gabrielp »

dkelly wrote: Also remember that it's how some folks earn their living (or at least part of it)

No doubt. It's understandable and I didn't mean really anyone on here specifically. You in particular have shared an incredible amount of knowledge for free on these forums. For which I am very grateful.

But, it is true that those of us who do not make consulting our business have different goals then those who do. Would be nice to see those of us without competing interests doing a bit more sharing, as I really think the end result would be a better outcome for everybody. A peer group for programmers in the industry -- that would be the day...
Free Switch scripts: open-automation @ GitHub
Free Switch apps: open-automation @ Enfocus appstore

Want to hire me? I'm looking for my next gig. Contact me on LinkedIn or via email.