Simple Preflighting

jugganaut

Simple Preflighting

Post by jugganaut »

Looking for suggestions for a simple way to check image files - not only PDFs, but jpgs, tiffs and other formats. My first inclination is to use iMagick with ghostscript to simply open an image file up, but there are some files that will open, but are still partially downloaded or incomplete. The end use for the images will be programmatically placed into InDesign...
gabrielp
Advanced member

Re: Simple Preflighting

Post by gabrielp »

You want to check files to see if they are corrupt or incomplete? Anything else you're looking to check for?
Free Switch scripts: open-automation @ GitHub
Free Switch apps: open-automation @ Enfocus appstore

Want to hire me? I'm looking for my next gig. Contact me on LinkedIn or via email.
jugganaut

Post by jugganaut »

Pretty much just if they are corrupt and/or incomplete. After this preflighting, they will be imposed in InDesign. I've seen where InDesign can still place incomplete jogs and this causes problems as you could imagine...
mattbeals

Post by mattbeals »

Use a preflight profile with a simple check like "Document is damaged or needs repair"? For the images, I suppose you could open and resave them.
I'm just a dude. Anything I say has nothing to do with any other person or company.
jugganaut

Post by jugganaut »

I don't have Pitstop - is that what you are referring about when you say "profile"?
gabrielp
Advanced member

Post by gabrielp »

Well, you could use ImageMagick's identify (with "-regard-warnings -verbose") for images, reading the results of stdout. For JPEGs, you could scan the file for the end of file marker which is something like "\xFF\xD9" or use something like jpeginfo, both discussed here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/198 ... -jpeg-file

The problem is you'd have to define a test for each filetype which is a pain. Let me know what you end up doing.
Free Switch scripts: open-automation @ GitHub
Free Switch apps: open-automation @ Enfocus appstore

Want to hire me? I'm looking for my next gig. Contact me on LinkedIn or via email.
jugganaut

Post by jugganaut »

Thanks ya'll...