AutoProofing to email address

w.bromley

AutoProofing to email address

Post by w.bromley »

Hi All!

I am looking to set up a flow that allows a customer to submit a file which then pings back either an email or a preflight report.

The later part isn't a problem, my issue is that I can't work out a simple (for the customer) way to associate an email address with the submitted job. It works via submit points (you can pass the email address of the logged in user as metadata with the job) but submit points are locally facing only.

We have done this in the past with and FTP server, but there's no way to associate an email address and in this instance we would have lots of potential people using the system (so a generic email address wont work in this case).

Anyone got any ideas?!

Cheers!
jan_suhr
Advanced member

Re: AutoProofing to email address

Post by jan_suhr »

Well you can of course have a field with an email address in the submit point.
If you only have the submit points on the local net it is possible to build a Web page that calls the submit point over the Switch REST-API.
One way is then to send the Web form to a Switch Webhook.
This works in the way that the Submit point is only there to populate the web form. Switch receive the job over the Webhook and it will contain all info you get from the form.
Jan Suhr
Color Consult AB
Sweden
=============
Check out my apps
w.bromley

Post by w.bromley »

Awesome - looking into API solutions now :)
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

Submit points are NOT locally facing only. Go to the submit points page in Portal, click on the three dots and choose "Manage Submit Points". You can create a new URL for a submit point and you can even specify that the submit point does not require authentication. You now have a URL that you can share with other people. However, in order for the URL to work from outside your LAN IT will have to configure the firewall so the URL is accessible in a secure way.

Also when you use "FTP receive" you can define "Attach email info" where you can define a map between input folders and associated mail addresses. If the list of users is long, it is harder to manage than with a submit point where people specify their own mail address, but it can be done.
JimmyHartington
Advanced member

Post by JimmyHartington »

I have setup a proxy-server for this. It is located in the DMZ of our network and is then accessible via the internet.
And sends files back to the Switch-server on the local network.
So it uses the same interface as internally.
jan_suhr
Advanced member

Post by jan_suhr »

Using the switch API you can have submit points as templates for Webforms. It is also very simple for a Switch user to edit the files shown in the webform. They just change the properties of the Submit point and the webform will update without any knowledge about web programming.
Snag_378764ee.png
Snag_378764ee.png (8.04 KiB) Viewed 2249 times
The Ghost folder is just there for the Submit points to work win Switch, there is no content or information coming in that way. The submit points are just there to present themselves for the Switch API calls from the web portal.

The web page then sends a web hook to the Switch flow and if needed uploads job files with HTTP-requests.
In the case below, the web portal uploads the job file to that web server temporarily and Switch gets an XML with path to the file for download.
On the upload to the server the job file will get a random filename that is web-friendly. The original file name is in the XML and Switch renames it back to its proper name.
Snag_378764ee.png
Snag_378764ee.png (8.04 KiB) Viewed 2249 times
The upload function is done in the web portal code.
Attachments
Snag_378cbe9e.png
Snag_378cbe9e.png (25.9 KiB) Viewed 2249 times
Jan Suhr
Color Consult AB
Sweden
=============
Check out my apps
w.bromley

Post by w.bromley »

Wow - fantastic - a great overview there!

Thanks so much!