How to Associate PF Report w/Original PDF

rgpepper

How to Associate PF Report w/Original PDF

Post by rgpepper »

I'm using a Checkpoint via mail for a preflight workflow where:
1) Files are submitted to Switch using a ConnectALL connector.
2) Using PitStop Server to preflight
3) Emailing the report out to the submitter
4) Preflighted PDF passes through the Checkpoint for the submitter to approve to move on in the workflow (or not).

Problem:
The report PDF has a different unique ID than the original PDF, so that when the checkpoint email gets to the user (typically even before) the preflight report, I would like to include either a (common) unique identifier or file name (without "Report" in it) in the subject lines of both emails so they know which goes with which. Is there some sort of persistent property that retains the original file name that was preflighted that can be accessed from the report PDF job resulting form the report output of PS Server?
rgpepper

Re: How to Associate PF Report w/Original PDF

Post by rgpepper »

Even if it's just a script expression to strip "_report" off the report PDF name that I use in the subject of the email, so both subject lines contain the exact same file name.
rgpepper

Post by rgpepper »

Never mind, turns out I'm the one adding "_report" to me email. Still, I am curious if anyone else has wrestled with the idea of having a unified identifier in this sort of scenario before.
gabrielp
Advanced member

Post by gabrielp »

rgpepper wrote:Never mind, turns out I'm the one adding "_report" to me email. Still, I am curious if anyone else has wrestled with the idea of having a unified identifier in this sort of scenario before.
This is a very common use case many folks use Private Data for. Write a PD value to a job before it is worked on, then route them back together or refer to them in other workflows by that PD value. Check out https://appstore.enfocus.com/#product/metaTagger if you don't have Scripter or want something officially supported. Otherwise, you can use something like https://github.com/open-automation/Swit ... rivateData.
Free Switch scripts: open-automation @ GitHub
Free Switch apps: open-automation @ Enfocus appstore

Want to hire me? I'm looking for my next gig. Contact me on LinkedIn or via email.
rgpepper

Post by rgpepper »

Now I think I'm just looney, I'm using a custom email template, and that's where I saw "_report", but I wonder (can't recall now) if I was already trying to strip that off for the email because the syntax is "Please find attached your preflight report for file [Job.NameProper:Before="_report"].pdf." - the ':Before="_report"' - is that an attempt to strip that off of the Job.NameProper result?
gabrielp
Advanced member

Post by gabrielp »

rgpepper wrote:the ':Before="_report"' - is that an attempt to strip that off of the Job.NameProper result?
Yep, that's right. It gives you everything before that string.

Want to hire me? I'm looking for my next gig. Contact me on LinkedIn or via email.
rgpepper

Post by rgpepper »

It's not working, because I'm still getting "_report", the very thing I'm allegedly removing.
gabrielp
Advanced member

Post by gabrielp »

rgpepper wrote:It's not working, because I'm still getting "_report", the very thing I'm allegedly removing.
The best way to troubleshoot this is to put a hold somewhere in your flow, then send a job through. Then use the "define text with variables" dialog to see the pending jobs in the flow and what they give you. There are a couple things that could be wrong. Perhaps _report is there twice or its spelled slightly differently.

rgpepper

Post by rgpepper »

I needed to use JobName, not JobNameProper, and it worked.